Fire-affected farmers urged to seek support

Bushfire assistance: Where to seek support


Wondering where to turn to for assistance after a bushfire or how to help? Here is the key contacts.


Where can I get fire assistance?

Emergency grants: Funds to cover immediate needs for affected communities such as food, clothing and medicine to the value of $280 per adult and up to $700 for a family are available from Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding. Visit Personal Hardship Emergency Grants for more information.

Communities affected by the bushfires may also be eligible for a one-off Federal Government Disaster Recovery payment of $1000 per adult and $400 per child aged under 16. Visit Disaster Recovery Payment for more information.

Financial help: South Australians affected by the bushfires can apply for grants up to $10,000 for eligible home owners and tenants to replace essential items and repairs. Visit Re-establishment Grants for more information.

SACWA Emergency Aid Fund: This fund provides up to $3000 for necessary expenses and can be applied for with assistance from Rural Business Support.

Rural Business Support: RBS staff are available to assist and support businesses as they recover from the bushfires on 1800 836 211.

Emotional support: For urgent mental health support call the SA Health Emergency Triage and Liaison Service on 13 14 65 at any time, visit Regional Access for free professional counselling or phone Lifeline on 13 11 14.

Livestock: For assistance with livestock loss and assessments call the PIRSA Livestock Assessment Hotline on 1800 255 556. For assistance with emergency fodder for livestock or to offer donations of emergency fodder call Livestock SA on 0419 035 459.

Insurance: The Insurance Council of Australia has activated its disaster hotline. Phone 1800 734 621 for affected residents.

Banking relief: Multiple bank institutes have bushfire relief packages. Contact your bank for eligibility.

Legal services: The Legal Services Commission is providing free telephone advisory services on 1300 366 424.

How can I help?

State Emergency Relief Fund: To donate via electronic funds transfer - Commonwealth Bank of Australia, BSB 065 266, Account 10020160, description must state 'donation'.

KI Donations: Kangaroo Island Council are accepting monetary donations - Bank SA, BSB 105 094, Account 035 680 540, Mayoral Bushfire Fund. To donate goods contact KI Cartage at Edinburgh North on 08 8255 7447.

Wildlife: Donate first aid items to Adelaide Koala and Wildlife Hospital on 08 8297 2455.

Fodder: To offer donations of emergency fodder and agistment call Livestock SA on 0419 035 459.

Volunteers: Register with BlazeAid to assist in fencing repairs by calling Barbara Keynes on 0439 653 205 for Adelaide Hills fires, or Greg on 0427 616 323 for the KI fires.

Australian Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund: Visit Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery Fund to donate.

Salvation Army SA Bushfire appeal: Visit Salvation Army to donate.

Saint Vincent de Paul: Visit Vinnies Bushfire Appeal to donate.

  • Start the day with all the big news in agriculture. Click here to sign up to receive our daily Stock Journal newsletter.

From the front page

Sponsored by