An attempt to hold up the National Radioactive Waste Management Facility outside of Kimba has been shot down, with a motion blocked in the SA Legislative Council this week.
The site, which is approximately 211 hectares of land at Napandee, 24 kilometres west of Kimba, was officially approved by the federal government in November last year as a single, safe and purpose-built point where waste can be consolidated, in line with international best practice.
It is expected to create 45 permanent jobs in the community and provide a boost to the economy.
Put forward by SA Greens spokesperson for energy Robert Simms MLC on Thursday, the motion requested the SA Government "oppose the federal government's attempt to impose a national nuclear waste dump in SA".
"A wide-ranging parliamentary inquiry must occur to not only consider the implications of the federal government's decision to dump radioactive waste on Kimba on SA's Eyre Peninsula, but also hear the concerns of the Barngarla People - and no further action should be taken until that process has concluded," he said.
The SA Liberal party, along with SA Best and Advance SA, voted against the motion, which was not passed.
Mr Simms expressed his disappointment after the motion was denied.
"I was disappointed the SA Best party didn't join with the Greens and the Labor Party opposing the nuclear waste dump," he said.
"I think people want to see the crossbench really holding the government to account and a crossbench that stands up for the environment and I think the SA Best party failed that test."
Mr Simms said the party knew the people of SA did not want to see a nuclear waste dump in Kimba, or in the state.
"This idea NSW should be able to be dumping on SA in this way is an affront to South Australians, but also an affront to people living in the regions," he said.
"A lot of the debate in the parliament when this was discussed seemed to centre around 'we don't want this to be in the city'.
"Do the Liberal Party and the SA Best party think that it's okay to dump it over in the regions?
"I find that proposition quite offensive and disrespectful to country people."
Instead of building the Kimba plant, Mr Simms suggested the government looked to nuclear waste reduction techniques used in Canada, or kept the waste at the Lucas Heights facility.
Despite previous consultation on the issue, he said more needed to be done.
"I think the the consultation was inadequate," he said.
"In the motion, I voiced my concerns with the consultation because the Barngarla Traditional Owners were excluded from the government's community ballot.
"The federal parliament's Human Rights Committee has also found the nuclear waste dump proposal is a violation of the Barngarla people's human rights and the Barngarla Determination Aboriginal Corporation has also initiated a legal challenge against the declaration of Kimba.
"There's lots of issues here that I think should have been taken into consideration.
"We'd like to see a full parliamentary inquiry, looking at this and bringing all of the issues to the fore."
I'm not sure there are any new arguments that haven't already been discussed and cleared out, so it is a shame the same arguments keep coming up.- MEAGAN LIENERT
Mr Simms urged South Australians to keep the issue in mind ahead of the state and federal elections this year.
"I think it's very important we have strong opposition in the next parliament to the nuclear waste dump so we can continue to push to ensure SA doesn't become the the nation's nuclear waste dump," he said.
"Yesterday's (Thursday) sitting day was the last one now before the election and I think this will be a key issue heading into that - certainly for us in the Greens.
"We're staunchly anti-nuclear and we'll continue that position in the next parliament.
"This is going to be a big issue in both elections for the people of SA to consider."
Working For Kimba's Future chairperson Meagan Lienert said it was frustrating to see the motion put forward.
"It is frustrating that it could have potentially dragged the start of the project on a little bit more," she said.
"I'm not sure there are any new arguments that haven't already been discussed and cleared out, so it is a shame the same arguments keep coming up.
"We've had inquiries, we've looked at all the evidence and the processes closely, it's on private land, there has been a cultural heritage assessment with no issues - there is plenty of consultation and plenty of information out there for people to find.
"It's even completely safe from flooding - which has been a big issue around here lately - but the site was completely fine.
"We've exhausted all the consolation there is.
"The majority of the community want it and that's what it is."
Ms Lienert said the community had started to prepare for the project's competition.
"The decision has been made and we're ready to get on with it," she said.
"We want to see those economic benefits come to the community.
"Unfortunately, not everyone's going to be happy and that's just the way it is.
"There's always gonna be someone that loses out and someone who feels like they've achieved something.
"But it's time we get started."
Start the day with all the big news in agriculture. Sign up here to receive our daily Stock Journal newsletter.
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.