Pinery fire: Where can I get help?

Updated November 30 2015 - 12:24am, first published November 27 2015 - 3:02am
Pinery fire: Where can I get help?

FOR those hit by the Pinery bushfire, knowing where to turn for help or information can often be difficult.

Fire updates



Fire conditions are constantly changing. For the latest fire information visit the CFS website

Recovery assistance

Recovery information updates will be available from the SA Bushfire Recovery facebook page

Recovery information will be tweeted from

Emergency relief centres

Emergency relief centres are open to provide support to affected families at:

  • the Gawler Recreation and Sports Club, Nixon Terrace, Gawler
  • the Balaklava Sports Club, Ralli Park Showgrounds, Werocota Road, Balaklava. This centre has moved from its previous location at the Balaklava Racecourse. 

Please note the Clare Emergency Relief Centre at Clare Showground, 8510 Horrocks Highway, has closed.

Financial assistance

The federal government has made disaster recovery assistance available to eligible people affected by the fire.

A one-off Disaster Recovery Payment is available to eligible people of $1000 per adult and $400 for each child.

The Disaster Recovery Allowance provides income assistance for up to 13 weeks, equivalent to the maximum rate of Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance. This assistance is designed to help employees, primary producers and sole traders recovering from the Pinery bushfire to get back on their feet. 

For eligibility check the Department of Human Services website, and for more information visit or phone the Commonwealth Government Information Hotline on 180 22 66 from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm.

Emergency grants

As part of the personal hardship and distress grants the emergency grant is available from the relief centres at Balaklava, Gawler and Clare.

This grant provides $280 per adult and $140 per child, to a maximum of $700 per family, to assist those who evacuated their principal place of residence and are unable to meet their own needs. This can be used for food, clothing, toiletries or medication.

SACWA Emergency Fund

SACWA Emergency Fund is a public fund entirely funded by donations from the community and SACWA members, and assists individuals and families requiring immediate relief, including food, clothing and shelter.



Recommendations for assistance must come from a rural or financial counsellor, Country Women’s Association members aware of an individual’s or family’s specific needs, or other reference or recommendation, which are assessed on a case-by-case basis. Phone 08 8332 4166.

Returning home

You will only be able to return home when the authorities declare it is safe to do so.

Preparing to return home

Prepare yourself for what you might find when you return home. The area around your home might look different. Landmarks might be missing and you might smell smoke for many days.

The Australian Red Cross has prepared a document on preparing to return home. You can find it here.



Once you arrive home, a range of fact sheets are available that provide advice on cleaning up after fires:

These include the Metropolitan Fire Service’s After the fire, and the Australian Institute for the Conservation of Cultural Materials’ Salvaging fire damaged belongings.

Emotional support

For immediate mental health support call the SA Health Emergency Triage and Liaison Service on 13 14 65.

The service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Livestock and animals



For advice or assistance with treating injured livestock contact your local veterinarian.

For assistance with livestock assessments or advice on livestock management call the PIRSA Livestock Assessment Hotline on 8207 7847.

For more information on land and livestock management after a bushfire, visit the PIRSA website.

For assistance with emergency fodder for livestock or to offer donations of emergency fodder call Livestock SA on 08 8297 2299.

For advice or assistance with wildlife and companion animals call South Australian Veterinary Emergency Management on 0477 055 233 or email

Magic Millions stables at Morphettville Race Course have more than 100 stalls ready for fire evacuees. Please call Lance Holberton – Stable Control on 0408 831 610 or Wendy Cubitt on 0408831610.



For assistance with evacuating animals or livestock call Lost Pets of South Australia on 0450 692 337 or visit their facebook page.

For information on helping your horses through bushfire injuries, view How to get my horse through bushfire injuries document from the University of Adelaide.

The University of Adelaide Companion Animal Hospital is open and treating horses, dogs and cats at the Roseworthy Campus. The hospital also has a number of lost animals from the fire region. They are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Phone (08) 8313 1999.

Power outages

SA Power Networks: for emergencies contact 13 13 66, all other queries contact 13 12 61. A map of power outages can be viewed here.

Water supplies



Do not empty your water tanks. Water supplies will be in high demand over the next few weeks.

For some simple steps you can take to ensure that your rainwater supply is suitable for drinking after a bushfire see Rainwater and bushfires on the SA Health website.


The Insurance Council of Australia has formally declared a catastrophe for multiple bushfires burning north of Adelaide in South Australia.

Anyone who has suffered losses in the fires should immediately notify their insurer and seek advice about making a claim.

The ICA has activated its disaster hotline – 1800 734 621 – helping residents if they are unsure which insurer they are with, or have general inquiries about the claims process.



For advice on how to handle insurance claims when returning home, visit

Information on dealing with insurance is available from the federal government disaster assist website.

Further information can be found in the Insurance Council of Australia’s Consumer tips for disaster recovery document.

Legal services

The Legal Services Commission is providing a free telephone advisory service to those affected by the fires 1300 366 424.

The service operates 9am - 4.30pm Monday to Friday, and puts people directly in touch with Legal Advisers for quick legal advice and information, and where appropriate, prompt referral to other support agencies.



The service is free, and does not require people to identify themselves, except for postcode (for reporting purposes).

For fact sheets containing detailed information for those recovering from loss through bushfires, visit

A Legal Chat service is also available through their website.

This information has been collated by the state government and the RSPCA.

Salvation Army

Anyone who has suffered the loss of a home or other significant damage is urged to contact The Salvation Army’s Major Darren Cox for support on 0457 600  061.



Rural Business Support

Rural Business Support staff are available to assist and support businesses as they recover from bushfire.

RBS are actively involved with the Pinery bushfire recovery assistance and if any members from the bushfire area are needing assistance they are urged to call freecall 1800 836 211


BankSA’s Disaster Relief Package is in place and offers immediate financial help to customers affected by the bushfires.

If you or anyone you know is impacted and needs assistance you can contact BankSA Assist on 1800 679 461 or use the branch locator.




Rabobank clients in applicable circumstances impacted by the fires would be eligible for a range of individually-tailored support measures, including:

  • deferral of scheduled loan repayments
  • waiving of break costs on early redemption of Farm Management Deposits
  • waiving of fees on loan increases necessary to assist in rebuilding operations and
  • waiving of fees for equipment finance contract variations.

Contact Rabobank on 1800 025 484. 

Get the latest South Australia news in your inbox

Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.

We care about the protection of your data. Read our Privacy Policy.