THE latest round of the state government’s rural road safety infrastructure program will inject $17 million aimed at increasing regional road safety.
In 2017 there were 101 fatalities on SA roads and Road Safety Minister Chris Picton said investment in infrastructure played a critical role in reducing road deaths and injuries.
Works will include intersection upgrades at Barrier Highway at Copperhouse Road and Springbank Road, Burra, as well as Goolwa Road and Winery Road, Currency Creek, to reduce the risk of turning and rear-end crashes.
In addition, shoulder sealing will be undertaken on the Riddoch Highway between Padthaway and Naracoorte as well as audio tactile line marking applied to the full length of the Riddoch Highway between Keith and Mount Gambier.
Mr Picton said serious casualty crashes in the rural area were mostly single vehicle type crashes on high speed roads.
“Through constant analysis of road crash statistics, we are able to identify the priority locations for upgrade works,” he said.
“We are committed to improving road infrastructure right across the state, and this $17 million investment in rural roads will go a long way towards increasing safety, particularly at black spot locations.”
Rural Road Safety Practices funded under the 2017-18 and 2018-19 DPTI annual program
- Goolwa Road and Winery Creek Road, Currency Creek - $1.29m intersection safety
- Barrier Highway at Copperhouse Road and Springbank Road, Burra - $.16m upgrade to include staggered T intersection, left-hand deceleration lane and lighting upgrade
- Victor Harbor Road and Agnes Gillespie Drive, Hayborough - $1m intersection upgrade to install and channelised right turn lane
- Victor Harbor-Goolwa Road and Boettcher Road, Middleton - $735,000 intersection upgrade to improve sight-lines and install a left turn lane
- Victor Harbor Road and Arthur Road, Mount Compass - $600,000 for a channelised right turn lane on Victor Harbor Road
- Swanport Road, Bridge Street and Mannum Road intersection - Murray Bridge
- Princess Highway and Clay Wells Road/Penola Road intersections - $250,000 to improve shoulder sealing and instal radar activated message signs on approaches
- RM Williams Way, Spalding - #310 shoulder sealing and safety barrier installation
- Barrier Highway, Clare - $65,000 safety barrier installation
- Bordertown-Naracoorte Road, Tatiara - $75,000 installation of Retro Reflective pavement markers
- Mount Burr Road, between Millicent and Penola - $70,000 for installation of Retro Reflective pavement markers
- Motorcycle safety improvements on Tippet Road and Gorge Road - $400,000
- Audio tactile line marking on Riddoch Highway between Keith and Mount Gambier - $650,000
Sealing road shoulders on priority sections of:
- Karoonda Highway, between Loxton and Murray Bridge
- Balaklava Road, between Balaklava and Halbury
- Riddoch Highway, between Padthaway and Naracoorte
- Princess Highway, between Kingston SE and Millicent
- Horrocks Highway, south of Yacka
- Owen Road, between Owen and Hamley Bridge
- Southern Ports Highway, between Kingston SE and Robe
- Wimmera Highway, between Hynam and SA-Vic border